1000 Washington St.
| Work from home flexibility
Category: Government, Other
Job Number: 19639
Position: Data Analyst
Location: Boston, MA
Job Type: Contract
Duration: 6 Months
The Data Analyst is a professional position supporting the Agency Performance, Program Integrity, and Innovation Department in our project to prepare the company to procure products and services for an Enterprise Licensing and Permitting technology platform modernization. The Data Analyst is responsible for related data planning and the functionality therein that supports the business, which will mainly encompass the effort to cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering and presenting useful information, informing conclusions, and supporting decision-making in the platform modernization project. The Data Analyst will assist the Project Manager in coordinating project activities, alerting the PM and team of out of scope activities. The Data Analyst will assist in developing Project Plan (Charter) and Statement of Work (SOW) and gain approvals.
The Data Analyst investigates, documents, and offers solutions to data collection and data quality problems, including functional requirements, needed workflows, and accompanying data plans to improvements, close gaps, and to support the development of new applications and workflows within our technology environments. As such he/she must be versatile, a quick learner, and an excellent communicator and translator to understand and clearly express these concepts to the stakeholders involved. This position must be able to communicate to both technical and non-technical staff and to translate concepts between those groups. Insufficient buy-in, resistance to change, and skill deficits are all challenges that will be faced by the incumbent in this position.
- Acts as a liaison between Agency Performance, Program Integrity, and Innovation Department and other Business Units;
- Develops and reviews specifications for enhancements to the Enterprise Applications and associated database environments;
- Determines which research method to use and how to proceed with research and analysis;
- Determines which strategy is best for processing data and producing reports;
- Extract data from various sources (data warehouse, SQL tables, Excel, among others). Work closely with system owners to define/redefine developed models;
- Filter and “clean” data by reviewing reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems;
- Perform analysis on report/query results to ensure accuracy in reporting and recommend solutions;
- Identify patterns and trends in data sets and recommend changes/solutions to problems;
- Define new data collection and analysis processes;
- Develop and implement databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality;
- Design processes that operationalize the use of data in business decision making;
- Interpret data and analyze results using statistical techniques;
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets;
- Supports the organization’s key business processes and applications;
- Gathers and documents business requirements;
- Translates requirements into business, functional, and use case documents or operational artifacts;
- Develops data plans to support application development;
- Work alongside teams within the business or the management team to establish business needs;
- Test solution requests prior to implementation;
- Generate reports, visuals, and presentations;
- Assist in developing Project Plan (Charter) and Statement of Work (SOW) and gain approvals;
- Alert the Project Manager to any “out of scope” activity;
- Develop and maintain project information with collaboration tools such as SharePoint;
- Maintain records of time spent on assigned tasks and provide information as required for project management and other administrative purposes;
- Assists in the creation and delivery of related user documentation and end-user training when requested; and
- Performs other related duties as required.
- In practice, the position requires not only general technical expertise, but also specific substantive knowledge of the breadth and depth of the business operations agency-wide, as well as the technical platforms, so that the challenges can be met. In meeting these challenges, the Data Analyst must display the following job competencies:
- Supports the company' s Mission, Ethics and Values in keeping with the general operational standards of the department;
- Develops productive relationships with our customers and builds Subject Matter Expertise in their fields during engagements;
- Understands and translates business unit functions and how information service operations, specialized tools, and software facilitate those functions. Uses this understanding to communicate value propositions and risk mitigation for proposed engagements and use case documents;
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuously improve their knowledge of fast changing computer programs, hardware and software through professional development;
- Provides exemplary customer service in a courteous and professional manner at all times to all staff and the public we serve;
- Works with others cooperatively, demonstrating a willingness to be a team player, and contributing to a work environment that focuses on shared departmental goals;
- Accurately assesses workflow, data, and other process related problems. Recommends and facilitates best fit solutions.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- Knowledge of and ability to work with business data analysis, query design principles, data visualization, and/or statistical analysis.
- Knowledge of business data analytics and use of business intelligence and technical tools to source and organize data.
- Ability to create, prepare and present visual data and to engage in public speaking.
- Ability to problem solve, use deductive and inductive reasoning, and apply critical thinking skills to complex matters.
- Ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to use data analysis and business intelligence to interpret trends to support business activity.
- Ability to prepare recommendations, reports and revisions based on business data analytics.
- Ability to communicate effectively and build relationships with colleagues, superiors and internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the methods of statistical report writing.
- Knowledge of project management and business planning.
- Ability to adapt to new tools and concepts in the field of Data Analytics.
- Strong customer service skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to balance, prioritize and organize multiple tasks;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in teams and across organizations;
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize feedback and adjust plans accordingly;
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships inside and outside the organization;
- Basic analytical skills to evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, consolidate details and extract to functional requirements;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively translate user requirements into business, functional and test scenarios for projects of various sizes and complexity;
- Knowledge of formal software development life cycle methodologies;
- Experience preparing technical documentation, including business process models, cross functional flow charts, data catalogs, technical project SOWs and project plans, and performance analysis documents. Ability to analyze complex issues and information relating to systems and programs?
- Experience in designing program integrity checks;
- Ability to communicate technical information to nontechnical people effectively?
- Ability to work effectively alone and as member of a team;
- Ability to perform tasks as directed by management
Queen Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to promote an environment that helps our employees and clients appreciate the benefits that diversity provides.