1177 Providence Hwy
N Kansas City,
Category: IT Support
Job Number: 17604
Position: Desktop Technician
Location: Greater Boston Area
Job Type: Contract to Hire
Under general supervision, responsible for supporting upkeep and maintenance of desktop computers within all locations to ensure they are running optimally. Duties include installing, testing, configuring, troubleshooting, and repairing a range of technology programs, systems and equipment. Provides accurate, timely, and creative solutions to first and second level end-user computer and networking problems to ensure end-user productivity. Performs restorative and maintenance actions to resolve company-wide problems, using basic to advanced troubleshooting and technical skills. Responds to situations when standard procedures have failed in isolating or fixing problem equipment or software installations, moves, and/or configuration changes. Maintains accurate information and data regarding end-user issues within the tracking system and according to policies and standards. Works on assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment and initiative are required to resolve problems and making recommendations. May determine methods and procedures on new assignments and provide guidance to other staff. On-call duties are an expected part of this position. Reports to an IT Manager or Supervisor.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains, analyzes, troubleshoots, and repairs computer systems and peripherals.
- Provides a range of technology support services to end-users in the company utilizing desktop management solutions.
- Troubleshoots and repairs computers.
- Installs, configures, and maintains collections (groups) of desktop and laptop computers and peripherals such as printers using the desktop management software.
- Works closely with the Helpdesk, Desktop Support, Telecommunications, and Network teams to ensure all systems are functioning optimally.
- Resolves first and second level technology problems and performs troubleshooting for end users when required.
- Defines problems, collects data, determines facts and draws valid conclusions.
- Escalates third level support issues to higher level staff for guidance.
- Tests and/or monitors systems to locate the problems.
- Uses technical manuals as needed.
- Once issues and solution are identified, makes repairs including reinstalling software or replacing hardware that is not working.
- Conducts pilot tests for all changes to the PC environment.
- Once changes are made, tests computers before beginning a deployment of the change.
- Monitors outcomes as needed.
- Documents all changes made to the PC environment according to established procedures.
- Installs and configures application and operating system software and upgrades.
- Troubleshoots and repairs hardware and network connectivity issues affecting the enterprise.
- Removes old equipment and performs data migration to new machine.
- Creates and maintains installation processes for all computer systems.
- Oversees the daily performance computer systems and evaluates software programs with regard to their compatibility with the standard desktop systems.
- Upgrades or replaces hardware and software systems as needed.
- Reads and interprets documents such as operating and maintenance instructions and technical procedure manuals.
- Interprets an extensive variety of technical instructions and works effectively with abstract and concrete variables.
- Schedules and performs work to meet established timelines.
- Establishes and maintains accurate records or service calls and resolutions.
- Maintains physical inventory of equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree (or equivalent education, training or experience) in computer science required.
- Special certification such as MCSA and/or A + preferred.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in desktop support required.
- Experience installing, testing, and configuring communication systems, network dependent devices, and infrastructure components required.
- Experience with software and hardware upgrades required.
- Ability to troubleshoot and fix end-user problems.
- Excellent problem solving and customer-service skills.
- Thorough knowledge of PC hardware, software and network connections.
- Ability to install, repair and provide preventative maintenance of the PC and related systems.
- Strong hardware troubleshooting skills on workstations and laptops.
- Able to use all electronic tools and applications relevant to the performance of the duties of the position, including but not limited to phone, keyboard, computer and computer applications.
- Performs all job functions in compliance with applicable federal, state, local and company policies and procedures.
- Accesses only the minimum necessary protected health information (PHI) for the performance of job duties.
- Actively protects the confidentiality and privacy of all protected health information they access in all its forms (written, verbal, and electronic, etc.) taking reasonable precautions to prohibit unauthorized access.
- Complies with all and departmental privacy policies, procedures and protocols.
- Follows HIPAA privacy guidelines without deviation when handling protected health information.
WORKING CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Queen Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to promote an environment that helps our employees and clients appreciate the benefits that diversity provides.
- Busy office environment with frequent deadlines and interruptions.
- Must have the ability to lift and transport computers and computer related hardware weighing approximately 40 lbs.
- May be required to provide on-call support.