Director, Commercialization Innovation
535 East 70th Street New York, NY 10021
Position: Director, Commercialization Innovation
Location: New York, NY
Duration: 3-6 mo contract-to-hire
Interviews: must be available to interview on-site
Required: 10+ yrs experience relating to the commercialization of technology. Life sciences, orthopedic or medical device tech transfer expertise preferred.
The Dir. of Commercialization will be responsible for leading the organization’ s technology transfer efforts, with a bias towards advancing technologies into the commercial marketplace. This person will serve as the primary licensing officer for organization-created discoveries as well as the safeguard for the organizations’ intellectual property protection. In this capacity, the candidate will partner with investigators and inventors as well as leadership to effectuate the Life Science Commercialization Playbook for the benefit of the institution, the technology and the inventor(s)/investigators.
The ideal candidate will exhibit expertise and a strong command over the life science technology transfer process including all matters related to regulatory, intellectual property protection, material transfer and sponsored research. Further, the ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to establish a business case driven commercialization narrative to garner internal funding support for candidate technologies and source and execute favorable commercial pathways including licensing and new venture development.
The ideal person will demonstrate the following:
- Ability garner credibility as a trusted advisor to our inventors, investigators and varied other stakeholders working in a fast-paced, matrixed, environment
- A prodigious desire to learn and share knowledge with peers
- A passion for early-stage life science technologies
- A bias towards commercial activation
- Exceptional ability to communicate-for-understanding at the right level across all media
- Exceptional follow-through to set and meet stakeholder expectations
- Prioritizes collaboration and team success over individual achievement, leading with humility
- A minimum of 10 years of proven experience relating to the commercialization of technology, including the structuring and negotiation of licensing, research collaboration, and startup transactions and working with inventors driving business development and technology transfer functions.
- Knowledge, management, and oversight of business development, technology transfer, technology marketing, business models and deal structures, licensing and other agreements, financial modeling and forecasting.
- Strong command of the invention process from disclosure through patent prosecution.
- Very strong organizational and project management skills
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to balance competing priorities, manage multiple projects at various stages and work cross-functionally.
- Understanding of technology development, sponsored research, project management, regulatory, and/or intellectual property frameworks
- Experience in healthcare provider and academic environments settings beneficial
Skills & Abilities:
- Life sciences, orthopedic or medical device tech transfer expertise
- Expertise in developing and implementing marketing strategies, including business model design, and experience building business cases for early stage technology.
- Ability to analyze technology/invention value and maintain internal and external documentation procedures (e.g., PatSnap, PitchBook, WellSpring, iEdison).
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Possess the ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment, while simultaneously understanding the needs of a large organization.
- Ability to understand complex healthcare regulatory constraints while also identifying resolutions to progress impediments.
- Strong leadership, project management, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Strong scientific background is a plus