Director, Medical Device Innovation
New York, NY
Position: Director, Medical Device Innovation
Location: New York, NY
Duration: 3-6 mo contract-to-hire
Interviews: must be available to interview on-site
Required: 5+ yrs med device experience, orthopedic background preferred
The Director, Device Innovation will be responsible for management of a portfolio of device innovation projects and opportunities that contribute to the financial and technical leadership growth of the organization. The key focus areas for this role include but are not limited to identification, assessment, and prioritization of commercial opportunities for new technology and knowledge assets of the organization, creation and implementation of related commercialization strategies, and overall execution and management of all projects to established goals. Reporting to the Managing Director, the successful candidate will provide leadership and oversight for day to day portfolio management, project management, and technology transfer activities of the department.
- Identify device-related innovations, new technologies, commercial opportunities and funding possibilities from internal Medical, Research, and Front-line hospital Staff and/or external contributing inventors for intellectual property and market potential.
- Assess new opportunities and create detailed business plans with financial and ROI analysis. Present initial and follow-on analyses to senior management
- Identify product development pathways for new device opportunities that leverage internal and/or external resources.
- Act as an advocate for the organization or external Inventors by representing and supporting their invention(s) to the organization, maintaining regular, clear communication about project priority and status, and driving disciplined project execution.
- Interact with internal (e.g., Legal, Finance, Dept. of Biomechanics, etc.) and external (e.g., commercial partners, external counsel, prototyping vendors, etc.) project stakeholders for timely execution of project deliverables.
- Build strategies for the commercialization of technology and knowledge, including but not limited to licensing deals, joint ventures, and the creation of start-up companies
- Work with the Team in coordinating activities relating to technology transfer including: Invention Disclosures, Patents, Option and License Agreements, Master Development Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, Research Collaboration Agreements and Commercial Non-Clinical Research Agreements. This process will include the institutional review of legal and business issues of proposed transactions.
- Work with Team to complete due diligence and analysis on healthcare technologies, competition, industry, and commercial opportunity. Market technologies to commercial partners and track and develop a portfolio of associated intellectual property.
- Work closely with Senior Management on the business terms of licensing and other commercial agreements including start-up companies, as well as legal matters related to technology transfer, including the review of contracts and agreements.
- Work with Innovation Center Team to continually evaluate the technology portfolio and provide recommendations to improve the portfolio for greatest commercial return.
- Principal duties may change over time
- 5-8 years of proven experience in a medical device industry, healthcare provider, or academic environment working with inventors driving business development and technology transfer functions.
- Knowledge, management, and oversight of business development, technology transfer, technology marketing, business models and deal structures, licensing and other agreements, financial modeling and forecasting.
- Very strong organizational and project management skills
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, ability to balance competing priorities, manage multiple projects at various stages and work cross-functionally.
- Understanding of technology development, sponsored research, project management, regulatory, and/or intellectual property frameworks
- Experience in healthcare provider setting beneficial
- Masters degree required
Skills & Abilities
- Life sciences, orthopedic or medical device expertise
- Expertise in developing and implementing marketing strategies, including business model design, and experience building business cases for early stage technology.
- Ability to work with IT-based analytical packages and services to analyze technology/invention value and maintain internal documentation procedures (e.g., PatSnap, PitchBook, WellSpring).
- Strong quantitative abilities and experience in financial modeling and forecasting
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Possess the ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment, while simultaneously understanding the needs of a large organization.
- Ability to understand complex healthcare regulatory constraints while also identifying resolutions to progress impediments.
- Strong leadership, project management, organizational, and interpersonal skills