Director, Software Development
Greater Boston Area, Massachussetts 02451
Position: Director, Software Development
Location: Greater Boston Area
Type: Direct Hire
Interview: Phone/In Person required
Local: yes - must work onsite
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
- Responsible and accountable for staffing and leading a team of software developers to deliver high quality medical device software.
- Develop and drive a long term strategic vision for the software team. Drive continuous software process improvement at both local level and corporate levels.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership for cross functional and corporate teams developing and maintaining medical devices.
- Be a strong decision-maker; focus on driving strategic goals while ensure tactical execution
- Interact with internal departments and external customers/vendors for both new development and problem resolution.
- Regularly interact with senior management or executive levels on matters concerning several functional areas, divisions, and/or customers.
- Train, coach and ensure professional development of the software team on software skills, practices and processes
- Be responsible for hiring, objective setting and counseling employees, including performance reviews, disciplinary action and terminations in partnership with Human Resources.
- Review objectives to determine the success of the operation.
- Manage the activities and operations of the SW department. Establish strategic and operational objectives and assure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements.
- Develop technical roadmap in collaboration with Marketing to extend products to meet business needs
- Develop strategy to develop new and innovative products
- Develop best-in-class software development practices and high quality and timely product deliveries
- Lead software engineering staff in operational efforts, directly or through subordinates, to ensure achievement of business goals.
- Manage the tactical execution of short- and long-term software development projects through the coordination of activities, leadership of staff and coordination with Project Management, Engineering, Marketing and Clinical Staff
- Identify opportunities for process improvement for regulatory compliance, product quality and business objectives. Work cross-functionally to implement improvement programs
- Work with project managers (Engineering Project Managers and Program Project Managers) to ensure effective implementation of a matrix organization
- Work with project managers to support the creation, maintenance and execution of project plans, work breakdown structures, schedules. Ensure correct resource assignments commensurate with the priority and complexity of project tasks
- Other duties as assigned
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. with assistance.
- Responsible for the direct supervision of various levels of Software Development staff.
- May be responsible for the direct supervision of additional functional areas.
- Bachelor' s degree in Computer Science/Information Technology or equivalent required; Advanced Degree desirable
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Passion for leading, coaching, and inspiring a team to deliver more than they think is possible.
- Ability to create and foster a team environment that encourages personal initiative, creativity, technical development, and achievement of goals.
- At least 10 years of experience in hand’ s-on software engineering roles.
- At least 5 years of experience leading a team of technology professionals.
- 3+ years’ second level management experience preferred
- Understanding of key technologies such as real-time embedded software architecture, C, C++
- Must have or quickly develop a thorough knowledge of Software for Dialysis Equipment technology and processes
- Experience in software development, verification, and standards necessary to meet global medical device regulatory requirements.
- Clear understanding of Software Development and Quality Assurance processes.
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and coaching skills
- Ability to interface with customers and marketing to develop and review requirements and plans
- Ability to build consensus and drive cross functional initiatives
- Ability to develop tactical and strategic plans and lead the realization of those plans
- Ability to apply logical and scientific critical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex or diverse information.
- Ability to read scientific and technical journals, functional reports and legal documents.
- Strong computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office.
- I acknowledge that I have read and accepted this job description. I understand what is expected of me in this position, and I am able to perform the essential functions as outlined with or without reasonable accommodation. Furthermore, I understand that the duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. If I have any questions about duties and responsibilities not specified in this job description that I am asked to perform, I should discuss them with my immediate supervisor or my Human Resources representative.