Lab IT Engineer
Position: Lab IT Engineer
Location: Boston – onsite every day
Job Type: Contract
Duration: through EOY
Lab IT Engineer to work in our R&D support team. The Lab IT Engineer is responsible for providing services to the lab computing environment which demands uninterrupted service in a state-of-the-art biomedical research center. These services and projects vary from building specialized computing platforms, implementing new technologies, coordinating and configuring lab systems to meet scientific workflows and hands on troubleshooting at the lab bench. This person will specifically work on migrating specialized lab computing platforms from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This will involve installing and configuring scientific applications, and hands on troubleshooting at the lab bench.
- Upgrade existing Win 7 Lab PCs and workstations to Win 10, integrate the hardware, install and configure the scientific software and ensure communication to the attached Lab instrument.
- Migrate existing data, methods and configurations from the Win 7 system to the Win 10 system and ensuring no loss of files or data.
- Provide technical expertise for the planning of system migration requirements related to vendor supplied software packages/instrumentation systems and software compatibility with Win 10.
- Collaborate and maintain business relationships in order to meet and exceed client expectations with respect to Business as Usual and project activities.
- Train, mentor, and suggest improvements / modifications.
- Experience working in Biotechnology industry including BSL2 laboratories.
- hands on experience migrating Lab systems from Win 7 to Win 10
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills and experience supporting nonstandard software and hardware
- More than 3 year experience with hands on troubleshooting and support for Windows (Win7/Win10)
- Experience working with chromatography instruments (Empower, Chemstation, Chromeleon), plate readers, mass specs, liquid handlers, gene sequencers, purification systems, imaging instruments (Aperio, InCells, microscopes, Biacore, etc)
- Windows security patch management and security vulnerability remediation
- Experience working with endpoint management software such as Altiris and Symantec
- Preferred experience in Biotech or Biopharma as it relates to scientific instrumentation/vendors, software applications and systems
- Basic understanding of Lab Safety
- Ability to move servers to and from main DC to the colocation and labs. (Ability to lift 50 lbs.)
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Linux OS types.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written correspondence) in a professional and courteous manner with technical and non-technical personnel.
- Strong technical, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to complete tasks and deliverables within expected timelines
- Excellent organizational skills, strong attention to details, and willingness to learn and be methodical about following procedures.
- Able to work independently as a part of a larger team in a global organization.