Lead Data Scientist
981 Worcester Street Wellesley, MA 02482
Position: Lead Data Scientist
Location: Wellesley, MA or Chicago, IL
Duration: 3-6 mo contract-to-hire
Interviews: must be available to interview on-site
Required: 5+ yrs data science experience, build experience, master’ s degree preferred, insurance background preferred, back-end and front end-nice to have.
Our client is seeking a data scientist that can expand on the existing assets by augmenting the company’ s data environment and creating the foundation on which the data can be used to create value for the company and its business partners. Our client has a unique data asset that includes insurance transactional and risk data with vast opportunities for value creation.
- Quickly assess existing complex data assets, develop a long-term data management strategy, make data more readily accessible to the business
- Provide a perspective on how the data set can be improved overtime and recommendations to enhance the value going forward
- Infer business insights from complex datasets, create new fields from input data (summary functions, case statements, regular expressions, etc.)
- Build, deploy, and maintain data dashboards and insights that can be delivered to our business partners
- Leverage agile and iterative delivery to build MVPs quickly
- Understand the strategic objectives of the company and how data can play a role in achieving those objectives
- Help drive the technology agenda of the company, reporting to the Chief Technology Officer
- While this role has no direct supervisory responsibilities at first, the ability to collaborate across the organization will be critical. Ideal candidate will be able to build and manage a team as the company grows.
- 5+ years of data science experience; experience building a data environment in a fast-paced environment preferred
- Master’ s Degree in Data Science preferred
- Experience working with insurance industry data is preferred
- Ideal candidate has experience in both back-end programming and front-end delivery (i.e., dashboard and app development)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required.
- Technical Skills – fluent in a wide range of statistical computing and data mining tools (e.g., R, Python, etc.); experience with SQL Server; experience with data visualization tools such as PowerBI, Tableau, d3.js, etc.; experience building dashboards and simple apps
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit situation; able to deal with change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Communication Skills - Ability to communicate effectively with executives, managers, vendors, and in group or team settings; ability to respond to requests quickly.
- Dependability - Responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to getting the job done using all available resources including working after hours to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan in a timely fashion; is self-motivated and can work along and in a team environment as needed.
- Learning, Growth & Development - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; asks for and offers help when needed; commits to long hours of work if necessary to reach goals; measures self against standard of excellence.
- Process Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality; meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives; develops realistic action plans; anticipates potential problems and takes steps to resolve.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; works well in group problem solving situations.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback.