Lead SQL Server DBA
32 Hartwell Ave Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts 02421
Position: Lead SQL DBA
Location: Greater Boston Area
Interview: Phone and In Person Required
Must be willing to relocate and work onsite
We are seeking a motivated Senior SQL DBA to join our existing team of 7 very capable DBA’ s supporting some of the most challenging deployments you’ ll see using MS SQL Server. Our SQL Server environment is responsible for the day-to-day operations:
Our SQL Server environment is responsible for the day-to-day operations of over 2, 300 clinics:
- Financials platform: 7 TB OLTP, 12 TB OLAP/DSS database pushing 2.4 Billion database txn’ s/day, 700 users, supporting $700M/month in revenue for FMCNA
- Clinical systems platform: 15 TB+ database, 1.5 Billion txn’ s/day, 12, 000 daily users, facilitating 80, 000 treatments/day
- Transactional replication environment with over 150 Million commands per day
- Large scale servers, e.g. 160 processors, 2TB RAM
- Custom alerting and monitoring in support of critical systems
- Central monitor server, monitoring 140+ instances
- T-SQL, powershell, batch files
- Operational dashboard using SSRS
Have you ever wanted to put advanced skills you learned at Dev Connections or PASS into practice and see the outcome in a very diverse environment? Have you always wanted to prove or measure said changes?
If you’ re looking to run SQL Server out of the box, this may not be a good fit for you. If you have a passion for learning and applying evolving technologies, pushing the limits of SQL Server, striving towards a High Availability Architecture, this could be your dream job!
- Responsible for administration, maintenance and availability of enterprise Production SQL server environments including cluster and replication.
- Ensure backup and recoverability of all enterprise SQL server databases.
- Work with Data Architect on long term strategy to ensure integrated database systems. Advise on physical data model and implement changes.
- Responsible for capacity planning, working closely with Infrastructure group to allocate appropriate database resources on servers.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of technology and production processes company-wide. Keep abreast of new design tools, hardware, software and technology and make recommendations for future deployment.
- Provide technical leadership. Mentor junior DBA’ s on the team on database technical details. Provide technical assistance to developers.
- Monitor SQL server databases to ensure optimum performance, analyzing and resolving performance issues ensuring maximum uptime.
- Work closely with the system administrator to perform SQL Server installations and to configure hardware and software so that it functions optimally with the DBMS. Plan and implement database upgrades as needed.
- Create and maintain quality control and auditing of databases.
- Coordinate with technical project managers, developers and other team members to coordinate database requirements across projects.
- Triage/track outstanding issues, providing solutions to resolve defects and issues.
- Ensure appropriate procedures are followed for implementation of data and database changes.
- Develop and adhere to common database standards and procedures within a production operations unit. Maintain documentation related to database platforms, guidelines, methods and standards.
- Lead projects and efforts driven by database systems, such as database appliance and consolidation.
- Research and execute new technologies and features in RDBMS area.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience in SQL Server, including replication and clustering
- Strong aptitude for tuning T-SQL
- Process oriented engineer with strong execution and follow through skills.
- Experience supporting SQL2005-2014 in a production environment
- Experience with SSAS
- Strong working knowledge of Windows, server, storage systems, networking
- Experience in Clustering and Virtualization and high transactional enterprise systems.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Team player with ability to multitask with minimal supervision
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- SQL certification desired