Lead Systems Software Engineer (C++ / Embedded Systems)
6 Tech Drive Greater Boston area, Massachusetts 01810
Position Title: Lead Systems Software Engineer (C++ / Embedded Systems)
Job Location: Greater Boston area
Interview Expectations: onsite
Local Candidate: yes
Required Skill Sets: embedded programming, C++
The Job Responsibilities
Within the global Connect & Develop (R&D) organization, you are joining a software development team to develop infrastructure- and clinical- software for a modality agnostic system. This complex, highly heterogeneous and distributed system will support our customers to save lives, improve patient outcome and streamline clinical workflows in hospitals.
You will design, implement and test the underlying communication protocol to enable system and medical device interoperability. This network-based communication stack is the foundation of our future product portfolio and is heavily reliant on open standards and industry communication protocols.
Based on the product requirements and in close alignment with Product Management, System Engineering and Software Architecture, you will create and refine the technical specification. You pride yourself in developing clean code and high-quality software. You believe in continuous improvement and software-craftsmanship. By employing test automation, you will assure long-term maintainability and compliance with requirements. You enjoy working as part of a team in an international, fast moving and creative environment. As an Agile team, we rely on close customer collaboration to obtain and implement rapid feedback for our solutions. Eagerness to grow, actively learn, and apply yourself to new challenges and all matters of new product development.
- Enable system-interoperability.
- Work within a cross-functional, international team to produce high-quality deliverables during the design, implementation, integration and test phases of product development.
- Engage in open communication across teams, sites, and organizational boundaries.
- Utilize the software configuration management system to correctly maintain SW files.
- Build, integrate, deploy and test software in Windows and embedded environments.
- Seek out advice as needed, respond to coaching, analyze successes and failures in order to improve, take on the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
- Comply with all internal SOPs and FDA and industry regulations.
- BS/MS Computer Science or Electrical Engineering required.
- 5-15 years of related experience in SW development.
- Strong and proven skills and expertise in developing with C++ (e.g. Boost, performance optimization, CppUnit)
- Experience in developing network-based communication protocols (Web Services, SOAP, TLS)
Experience in these frameworks, technologies and working modes is a plus:
- Basic understanding of agile methodology (Scrum, Kanban, TDD)
- Experience in developing on embedded environments (VxWorks)
- Software development in a regulated environment (FDA)
- Jenkins, Git, CI, Jira
- Encrypted network communication
Special Competencies or Certifications:
- Works independently with minimal supervision, shows the ability to diagnose, debug and resolve defects
- Effective team player
- Ability to follow company and governmental regulations
- Ability to maintain detailed records and reports
- Ability to follow direction from senior team members
- Ability to effectively communicate internally