Manager, Network Engineering
500 Boylston Street Boston, Massachusetts 02116
Position Title: Manager, Network Engineering
Type: Full Time
Job Location: Boston, MA
Interview Expectations: phone & in-person
Local Candidate: Yes
Required Skill Sets: Must have network engineer experience, network certifications a must
Responsible for Managing the Hospital and Branch Office LAN/WLAN/WAN network infrastructure. This includes maintaining router, switch, wireless, video, unified communications hardware and network management server configurations; supporting/troubleshooting network/system problems; coordinating with vendors for installation of network hardware and systems, and project implementation. Maintains budget oversight for hardware purchases as well as service contracts and maintenance agreements. Performs staff reviews, as well as hiring decisions regarding direct reports. Works with other members of Management, network and security engineers, system administrators, systems analysts, support center staff, technicians, vendors, and users relating to applications associated with a production-computing environment.
- Responsible for maintaining the network infrastructure. This includes maintaining router, switch, wireless, unified communications hardware and network management server configurations; supporting/troubleshooting network/system problems; coordinating with vendors for installation of network hardware and systems, and project implementation.
- Performs installation and maintenance of network electronics, software, and solutions.
- Recommends hardware and software acquisitions to meet projected demands.
- Adheres to problem resolution and escalation procedures, documenting, and responding to all related system problems and resolving them on a timely basis.
- Notifies Senior Management of problem areas and develops backup strategy and emergency plans.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and changes in network software and hardware technologies in order to improve current service levels.
- Manages hardware, IP, and leased line inventories. Ensures appropriate service contracts [for vendor support] are maintained.
- Off hours availability for emergencies and change windows is required.
- Performs regular on-call duties as scheduled.
- Four-year college degree.
- Five to seven years of professional experience in a medium to large size organization with complex networks.
- Preferred industry certifications include: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE or other Cisco certification
- Experience with Cisco network products, and Network Management Systems is required.
- Experience with Cisco VOIP products is desirable.
- Proficiency in a scripting language such as Perl is desirable.
- Experience with Unix (especially FreeBSD and Linux) is desirable.
- Ability to troubleshoot network/system related issues and manage components in a production environment is critical.
- Ability to prioritize projects and daily work-flow.
- Ability to communicate effectively to personnel (including Senior Management) using written and oral formats.
- Good teamwork skills.
- Ability to plan and be proactive in approach.
- Must possess the ability to solve problems creatively.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret applicable technical documentation, system reports, software licenses and contracts.
- Ability to deploy and manage complex internet facing infrastructures.