Manager, Software Development
San Antonio, Texas
Position Title: Manager, Software Development
Job Location: San Antonio, TX
Interview Expectations: phone & in-person
Local Candidate: yes
Required Skill Sets: at least 5 years exp.
The Manager – Application Development coordinates, supervises, and is accountable for the daily activities of Application Developers in their design, development, and maintenance of custom information systems within the organization. The Manager promotes an environment consistent with the organization’ s Values Based Competencies, Release Management, and Business Demand Intake processes. This role requires the Manager to mitigate team weaknesses and harness strengths to align with long term enterprise strategies and enforce standards while meeting or exceeding expectations set forth by Executive Management.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides architecture and technology direction, leadership, and mentoring to development staff to follow approved architecture and security patterns, practices, and other relevant processes.
- Provides leadership, coaching, mentoring, motivation, and guidance on personnel issues to developers.
- Manages and supports the operations of all aspects of the software development life cycle (SDLC) including research, requirements analysis, prototyping, design, programming, code reviews, technical documentation, and testing.
- Responsible for the day-to-day quality and support of services and applications provided by developers to business groups.
- Sets priorities and coordinates the activities and operations of developers among IT teams to help meet objectives and complete tasks on time and within budget.
- Implements processes that take proactive approaches to potential technical problems.
- Provides oversight and review of technical designs and project plans for development projects.
- Fosters a development environment promoting creativity and innovation.
- Promotes Values Based Competencies within the department.
- Prepares regular reports showing systems and support health, status of development, and department needs.
- Provides technical information required for the preparation of accurate annual department budgets that ensure timely response to business partner needs.
- Performs analysis of, and makes recommendations for the improvement of existing information systems and performs ongoing reviews of new technologies and industry standards to assess the feasibility of their potential deployment within the organization.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’ s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field (Eight additional years of comparable work experience beyond the required years of experience may be substituted in lieu of a bachelor’ s degree).
- Five or more years or technical management experience.
- Five or more years of hands-on software engineering experience on large scale applications based on multi-tiered architectures
- Demonstrated experience using some or all of the following technologies from a design and development level: ASP.NET MVC, RESTful WEB.API, C#, SQL Server 2005/2008, large-scale Object Oriented Programming, Web Services.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
Preferred Education, Experience & Skills
- Master’ s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field.
- Microsoft or comparable IT industry certification
- One or more years Agile experience in enterprise class development projects
- Experience working in a healthcare environment.
- Experience using and administering Team Foundation Server (TFS)
- Experience in a healthcare environment.
- One or more years technical management experience in enterprise cloud based development