500 Boylston Street Boston, Massachusetts 02116
Position Title: Network Engineer
Job Location: Greater Boston Area
Interview Expectations: onsite
Local Candidate: yes
Required Skill Sets: Network Engineer experience, CISCO
Job Summary: Network Engineer
The Network Engineer is responsible for maintaining the Health Care System LAN/WAN network infrastructure. This includes deployment and maintenance of router, switch and wireless hardware and network management server configurations; supporting/troubleshooting network/system problems; coordinating with vendors for installation of network hardware and systems, and project implementation.
The Network Engineer will work with other network and security engineers, system administrators, systems analysts, support center staff, technicians, vendors, and users relating to applications associated with a production-computing environment.
This position will report to the Manager of Network Engineering and will bring a strong in-depth knowledge of all aspects of Network information systems in a large enterprise. S/he will work together with stakeholders, leadership and subject matter experts to effectively support, design and deploy effective technical solutions that maps to the organization' s strategy, processes, information, and information technology assets.
This Health Care company is a fast paced and rapidly expanding organization. This presents challenges around improving existing technology and processes while evolving the ability of Information Services to deliver enterprise class services to meet the growing needs of our thriving business.
It is imperative to constantly improve day-to-day operations and availability of information while also developing long-term solutions and processes that will ultimately differentiate the organization from other organizations and provide improvements to our employees, physicians and patients.
The organization will continue to evolve creating a consistent level of change in the environment.
- Responsible for maintaining the network infrastructure. This includes maintaining router, switch, wireless, unified communications hardware and network management server configurations; supporting/troubleshooting network/system problems; coordinating with vendors for installation of network hardware and systems, and project implementation.
- Performs installation and maintenance of network electronics, software, and solutions.
- Recommends hardware and software acquisitions to meet projected demands.
- Adheres to problem resolution and escalation procedures, documenting, and responding to all related system problems and resolving them on a timely basis.
- Notifies manager of problem areas and develops backup strategy and emergency plans.
- Maintains inventory of network equipment, IP addresses, service locations, maintenance agreements, and leased lines.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and changes in network software and hardware technologies in order to improve current service levels.
- Off-hours availability for emergencies and change windows is required.
- Performs regular on-call duties as scheduled.
- Provides support for all facilities in the region including but not limited to Hospitals and branch offices
- Three to five years of professional experience in a medium to large size organization with complex networks.
- Preferred industry certifications include: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, or other Cisco certification. Must be able to complete CCNA certification within six months of hire if not currently certified
- Strong understanding of IP subnetting and routing protocols including OSPF and EIGRP.
- Ability to deploy and manage complex network LAN/WLAN/MAN/WAN infrastructures.
- Ability to understand concepts behind subnets, variable length subnet masks (VLSM), and virtual LANs (VLAN).
- Understanding of the OSI Model.
- Experience with Cisco network products is preferred.
- Ability to prioritize projects and daily work-flow.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills are required.
- Excellent customer service skills are required.
- Cisco ACI experience a plus
- Previous experience in health care environment is desirable.