Principle Guidewire Engineer
440 Lincoln Street Worcester, MA 01653
Position: Principle Guidewire Engineer
Interview Expectations: 1st round phone interview with the HM, 2nd round in-person or skype (must be a video interview
The Principal Application Engineer will apply technical knowledge/capabilities to create technical designs and specifications, based upon business requirements and technical specifications. The Principal Application Engineer ensures thorough unit testing of all new software applications and enhancements to existing software applications.
- Partners with architects and senior technical leaders contributes to and may own technical design and specifications, writes code, and assists in development/implementation of new applications, products and enhancements to existing applications and products.
- Performs thorough unit testing to verify the accuracy and quality of all software developed. This may include preparation of sample test data, execution of programs and job streams, and system integration testing. Supports Quality Assurance and Business testing.
- Designs or modifies applications to accomplish functions in compliance with the Software Development Life Cycle framework.
- Leads and may perform all software development functions to accomplish specific application solution requirements.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle processes including requirements gathering, analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, testing methodologies and deployment management.
- Identifies risks and options and makes recommendations.
- Leads and supports setup of multiple test environments.
- Leads best practices in source code management software use.
- Supports, troubleshoots and debugs coding defects identified during quality assurance and business partner validation.
- Adheres to all quality standards and procedures.
- Collaborates with project team members, including external and offshore partners, during development process. Provides or supports training and documentation.
- Supports preparation and implementation of software releases into the production environment.
- Contributes to project planning, design, and estimating activities.
- Stays current and builds knowledge of multiple programming languages and related development tools. Applies this knowledge to effective business solutioning.
- Provides timely and accurate project status reporting. Proactively identifies risks and challenges.
- Works with the Project Manager to create the project implementation plan and helps execute.
- Builds knowledge of P&C insurance concepts and Hanover application systems.
- 3 - 5 years’ experience with mainframe systems
- 3 - 5 years’ experience in Java development
- 2 - 4 years’ experience in Guidewire development and or exposure
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Ability to analyze and creatively solve problems
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a multi-priority environment with demanding timelines
- Execution of well-defined project tasks
- Strong and effective communication, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to pay attention to minute detail and quality
- Initiative, adaptability, and willingness to learn
- Strong problem-solving skills
Knowledge and experience with several of the following technologies and systems:
- Mainframe working with Cobol, JCL, Assembler, CICS, VSAM and DB2 skills
- Experience with PMS (Policy Management Systems)
- Experience with Insurance Industry ideally with Billing and Commissioning systems
- Java Script
- XSD Schema
- Web Services/REST Service
- Tomcat/ Websphere
- J2EE technologies