3711 S Mo Pac Expy Austin, Texas 78746
Position Title: Privacy Specialist
Job Location: Austin, TX
Local Candidate: preferred
Required Skill Sets:
This organization has instituted a Privacy Program to protect the confidentiality and privacy of all company data, including patient data, employee data, and other confidential and sensitive company data. The Privacy Specialist supports projects related to the company’ s privacy program and practices throughout North America with a primary focus on leading and assisting with privacy investigations and risk assessments.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives, investigates and responds to privacy questions or concerns raised by patients, employees, and others. Includes correspondence and communication with patients and others raising concerns.
- Conducts breach risk assessments for privacy events to determine individual and government notification requirements.
- Researches state law to determine applicability of local state requirements regarding privacy events.
- Drafts and coordinates communication of all required breach notifications to affected individuals and government agencies, as applicable.
- Fully documents activities including event investigations in designated databases.
- Assists in preparation of reports and metrics for all reported privacy events and investigations.
- Coordinates with key stakeholders, such as Legal, Compliance, and HR in performing assigned job duties.
- Assists with periodic risk assessments to identify, prioritize and evaluate privacy and information security risks.
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding all issues in a timely manner.
- Stays up to date with legal and regulatory changes affecting privacy programs.
- Actively participates in the communication of the Privacy Program. Communicates important aspects of the Privacy Program and instills a culture within the organization through communication of regulations, policies and standards, as applicable.
- May provide assistance to junior level staff with general tasks that require a better understanding of functions, as directed by immediate supervisor.
- May refer to senior level staff for assistance with higher level problems that may arise.
- Escalates issues to supervisor/manager for resolution, as deemed necessary.
- Reviews and complies with the Code of Business Conduct and all applicable company policies and procedures, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Assists with various projects as assigned by direct supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
- Up to 15% travel as required.
- Bachelor’ s Degree required.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 2 - 5 years’ related experience; or an advanced degree without experience.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and comply with applicable privacy and security rules and regulations, including HIPAA.
- High degree of integrity, self-motivation and initiative.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to make concise written reports and presentation materials.
- Ability to read complex regulations and interpret legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to produce accurate work in a fast-paced environment with multiple competing deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel.
- Prior privacy or information security experience at a HIPAA covered entity preferred.