Senior Automation Engineer
200 Technology Sq. Boston, Massachusetts 02139
Position: Sr. Automation Engineer
Location: Boston, MA
Duration: 16 months
The Automation Engineer is responsible to quickly and accurately analyze and understand the automation needs, create a technical solution based upon deep technology expertise, industry knowledge, automation experience and creative, collaborative thinking.
This role is responsible for defining and designing solutions, documenting and communicating these solutions and building consensus around the solution.
This role requires technical expertise in multiple automation and management platforms such as: Chef, Puppet, vRealize Automation (vRA), vRealize Orchestrator (vRO), Solarwinds, Elasticsearch Logstash Kibana (ELK).
- Develop automated workflows for the Informatics infrastructure
- Based upon experience and industry knowledge, the Automation Engineer is responsible for developing and maintaining a portfolio of automation tools leveraging several technologies, primarily vRA, vRO and Chef.
- The Automation Engineer is responsible to align the technology solutions with business requirements to ensure customer success.
- Provide technical/industry knowledge to guide solution development
- The Automation Engineer should have experience building and deploying automated solutions.
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of the IT industry and different technical solutions.
- Manage technical evaluations, POCs and make technology recommendations
- Provide technical leadership
- Provide technical leadership to other development teams to build collaborative solutions.
- Effectively Analyze Technical Problems
- Effectively gather requirements from all appropriate sources
- Analyze existing solutions to understand existing performance and functionality
- Develop clear and accurate documentation of the existing solutions and requirements
- Develop Technical Solutions
- Develop technical solutions that meet the customer requirements, meet security baselines, are cost effective, align with our overall technical roadmap, and integrate well with the existing infrastructure
- Document technical solutions, drive consensus around these with effective communication and outreach.
- Help develop project schedules and budgets
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Delivering Automation projects that meet all of the requirements put forth by the Engineering, Security and Quality Management teams on time and on budget
- Building strong, cross functional relationships to guide the development of technical requirements.
- Developing strong consensus among technical teams for the solutions and technologies we propose.
- Producing deliverables with little oversight or management assistance
- Strong hands-on personality, results-oriented, pragmatic, high quality standards, ability to multi-task
- Minimum 5 years’ working experience in any of the following roles
- Systems Engineer or Architect
- Systems Automation/Tools Developer/DevOps Engineer
- Cloud/Virtualization Engineer
- Minimum 3 Years developing technical solutions for automation
- Expertise with the following technology areas (must have):
- Virtualization: VMware, ESX, vCOPS
- Automation: vRealize Automation, vRealize Orchestrator, Chef, Jenkins
Experience with the following (should have)
- Cloud technologies: AWS components
- Management: Solarwinds, ELK,
- Operating systems: Linux (RHEL/CentOS), Windows Server
- Utilities and Tools: DNS, LDAP, AD, Kickstart, YUM, Bitbucket, Git, IPAM (Infoblox)