Senior Linux System Engineer
250 Massachusetts Avenue Greater Boston Area, Boston 02139
Position: Senior Linux System Engineer
Location: Greater Boston Area, MA
Duration: 18 months
- Engineer/Architect Linux environment for a global biomedical research organization.
- The candidate will be accountable for the technical design, service management aspects and automation of the Linux environment to guarantee timely, efficient, accurate, and uninterrupted service to scientists.
- The Linux environment includes physical, virtual (cloud & on premise) servers hosting scientific commercial & in-house developed applications.
- Maximize the business value of global and local initiatives, ensuring effective alignment of IT investment with business requirements.
- Develop an environment which fosters a high-performance and innovative organization.
- Strong technical depth across infrastructure technology, primarily Linux but also Virtualization, Cloud, Process Automation.
- Drive re-architecture of existing systems to implement streamlined, well-performing, automated and scalable architectures.
- Works with enterprise architecture, application and infrastructure teams to produce an optimal, high level, conceptual design for the project.
- Responsible for analyzing and translating business, information and technical requirements into an architectural solution.
- Researches and maintains knowledge in emerging technologies and solutions to solve business problems.
- Troubleshoot complex technical issues, especially recurring problems impacting production applications
- Experience building prototypes, pilots, or full products in cloud environments
- Design, document, and maintain architecture diagrams for systems, processes, and interfaces
- Manage at the project/task level (as needed) to provide specific guidance for operations personnel on technical projects, design and implementation
- Identify and define standards & operational procedures
- Identify technical solutions to resolve technical cross platform problems
- Develop and maintain client relationships
- Continuously evaluate architectures against emerging technology trends or business growth areas and target areas of opportunity to ensure performance and capacity exceed demand
- Apply and integrate emerging technology trends to new and existing systems architecture
- Responsible for complying with Company policies and standards.
- Assists in the planning and design of new or upgraded systems. Work with operational teams to implement process improvements
- Facilitate automation deployments to reduce manual processes and improve efficiencies across systems and data centers
- Ability to manage deliverables across multiple internal and external organizations
- Member of a global team of 5 system engineers
- This role coordinates closely with the Operation, Architecture, DevOps & Scientific Computing teams.
- Architect in his core domain followed with L3 support level
- 10 years of experience in Linux system engineering in a global enterprise
- In-depth scripting/automation: Bash, Ruby & Python
- Good experience in AWS Cloud Computing platform.
- Deep knowledge in configuration management (Puppet/Chef)
- Fluent in English