100 Cambridge St.
| Work from home flexibility
Category: Government, Software/Application Development and Architecture
Job Number: 19629
Position: Senior Network Engineer
Location: Boston, MA
Job Type: Contract
Duration: 5 Months to start
Our client is seeking a Senior Network Engineer that will be part of the Network and Telecommunications Team under the directions of the Manager, Network Engineering & Telecommunications. Responsibilities include planning and designing the converged network infrastructure, telecommunications systems, unified communication and enterprise network solutions, troubleshooting, installing, implementing, and administering converged network systems and providing Tier III support. Coordinate and monitor vendors and/or manufacture(s) for support.
- Planning: Conducts short- and long-term planning to meet network requirements.
- Network Monitoring: Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors. Recommends network design changes/enhancements for improved systems availability and performance. Expectations to be proficient with monitoring and diagnostic tools like SolarWinds, Fluke and Wireshark, PC Microsoft OS system commands.
- Network System Design and Implementation: Designs, implements, and document network systems.
- Configuration and maintenance of routers, switches (Cisco, Extreme Networks, Junipers, Brocade), and firewalls (Juniper, Brocade, Palo Alto).
- Able to implement projects plans as assigned by the Manager, Network Engineering, deliver progress reports, identify, and communicate impediments, and provide clear and concise documentation on completion.
- Provides support for network connectivity or related network issues for the user community.
- Issue Resolution: Troubleshoots diagnoses and resolves network problems. Researches, analyzes, and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any network deficiencies or to enhance network performance.
- Disaster Recovery: Ensures planned testing activities are performed and technical criteria are met.
- Network Performance Assessment: Assesses network performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the business. Provides network planning recommendations to management.
- Vendor Management: Evaluates services provided by vendors and recommends changes.
- Research emerging technologies, as requested.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Take ownership of a problem through resolution.
- Arrange for equipment repair, upgrade, or replacement.
- Communicates effectively with stakeholders, technical support, and project teams.
- Assist with the design of complex Core and WAN networks, IP, and routing summarization, includes configuring routers and switches.
- Retrieve hardware quotes from resellers in support of procurement.
- Hands-on experience with administering, maintaining, and troubleshooting Avaya/Cisco PBX a plus.
- A BS/MS degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of ten years of relevant IT work experience.
- Knowledge of Cisco SRND/SAFE and industry best practices.
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in team environment as well as individual with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects.
- Familiarity with network, server, storage virtualization, i.e., MDS switching infrastructure, VSAN, VRF, VPN, and VMWare vSphere.
- Knowledge of voice TDM technologies is also very useful.
- Experience with VOIP, like Avaya systems, Mitel systems and variety of Nortel systems.
- Experience with branch routers and LAN switches. Preferred knowledge, Cisco, Juniper Networks and Extreme Networks. Knowledge of Brocade/Ruckus ICX, VeloCloud a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of IOS, NX-OS, EXOS, JUNOS, EIGRP, BGP, GRE, OSPF, MPLS, Spanning-tree, VRRP, LAG, VLANS, SIP, H.323, PRI, SD-WAN, QoS, TCP/IP.
- Knowledge of Enterprise system monitoring and management tools such as, Lansweeper, Wireshark, sflow, NMAP, SNMP and Syslog.
- Knowledge of commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide network services, including firewalls, IPS/IDS, DNS, DHCP, web security, TACACS+, VPN and NAC.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and vendors.
- Must be proficient with latest versions MS Visio, MS Windows, and MS Office and/or O365.
License and/or Certification Requirements:
- Cisco Certifications: CCIE preferred, otherwise CCNP Enterprise
- Preferred Juniper Network Certifications JNCIE or JNCIP.
- MA Driver’s License.
- Not required but a plus any Microsoft Certifications, ITIL, Agile project management
Queen Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to promote an environment that helps our employees and clients appreciate the benefits that diversity provides.