Senior Network Engineer
67 Millbrook St Worcester, Massachusetts 01606
The Senior Network Engineer’ s role is to ensure practices and methodologies are implemented and executed on with respect to design, deployment and operations of wired and wireless networks. The Senior Network Engineer will work with the network team to provide technical guidance and leadership to ensure the project execution is on time and within scope. Provide leadership and technical know-how to maintain the network at a level to support mission critical applications in an academic medical center environment. The Senior Network Engineer will be the technical point of contact for network services and will provide design, migration and deployment guidance to customers.
- High school or equivalent educations plus ten (10) years experience as a Network Engineer, having experience with HSRP, 802.1Q, Spanning Tree, IP subnetting, IP Routing including OSPF, BGP, EIGRP.
- Must have Networking Professional level abilities CCNP/ENS/JNCIP/CCSE etc (certification is beneficial but not required).
- Design and deploy datacenter network, storage and compute.
- Experience logical design models (L2/L3, vPC, vPC+, VDC, FEX, Datacenter Zones, OTV, Fabric Path, Spanning tree, Port Channels, VTP, VLANs, physical cabling).
- Experience designing and troubleshooting GLBP, HSRP and VRRP.
- Experience designing and troubleshooting AAA, ACLs, DHCP Snooping, Dynamic ARP Inspection, IP Source Guard, Port Security, TrustSec
- ACI Spine and Leaf (entry level since technology is fairly new)
- Working technical knowledge of network control protocols (QOS, PoE, NTP, DHCP), network management protocols (CDP, FTP, TFTP, SNMP) and security protocols (SSH, HTTPS, IPSec).
- Strong knowledge IP communication and routing is required (OSPF, EIGRP, BGP).
- Understand WAN/LAN and transport technologies (Ethernet, and MPLS).
- Must have excellent hands-on technical knowledge of network equipment, including routers and switches.
- Must have technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and Internet standards and the ability to conduct research into networking issues and products with proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Must be able to effectively prioritize tasks and communicate effectively in a high-pressure environment with strong customer service orientation and experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Must have the ability to teach and mentor junior engineers to maximize potential and provide a firm foundation in network troubleshooting skills.
- Manage, oversee and perform hands-on work to install, configure, maintain, and troubleshoot the network hardware, software, and other components required for connectivity.
- Manage and oversee network and datacenter products, services, protocols, and standards. Maintain a working and hands-on knowledge of products in the network industry.
- Oversee/perform new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades. Manage, oversee and execute the design concepts, implementation plans, device setup and configuration settings, and maintenance plans. Perform troubleshooting when needed.
- Leads and helps others train on specific skills pertaining to network practices.
- Implements, manages and troubleshoots existing network and system environments, and supports a variety of network equipment and other hardware.
- Ensures the performance and availability of network infrastructure is maintained to the highest standards in order that maximum productivity and availability is achieved.
- Support users by a variety of methods, and will be required to provide technical expertise to users by verbal and/or written means.
- Provides 24-7 on-call support for the UMASS Memorial Healthcare network infrastructure and associated devices as required.
- Maintains, configures and troubleshoots network equipment including (but not limited to) Extreme Networks 450, 460, 8800 switches; Juniper Routers M7i, M120, and SSLVPN appliance; Ciena 4200 and 3600 optical gear; Netscaler load-balancer/access-gateway; A10 Networks AX1000 and AX3000 load balancers; Cisco Networks wireless controllers and access points.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures and objectives.
- Attends variety of meetings, conferences, seminars as required or directed.
- Demonstrates use of Quality Improvement in daily operations.
- Complies with all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Respects diverse views and approaches, and contributes in maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.