Sr Network Engineer
32 Hartwell Ave Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts 02421
Position Title: Sr Network Engineer
Job Location: Greater Boston Area
Interview Expectations: onsite
Local Candidate: yes
Required Skill Sets: Aruba wireless, VoIP, Cisco
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Sr. Networking Engineer utilizes in-depth knowledge of local area networks (LAN) and wide area networks (WAN) to provide expert input regarding the installation and support of the network data communications systems, playing a leading role within the data communications department relative to network design enhancements and support to remote facilities.
IT/SR. NETWORK ENGINEER FOCUS:
Utilize technical knowledge in the following areas:
- VPN technologies including SSL, IPSEC, Anyconnect, DMVPN
- Routing protocols such as BGP, EIGRP, HSRP, OSPF
- Skilled use of Packet Capture/Analysis tools
- Advanced knowledge of Cisco router platforms: 2900, 3600, 4300 series
- Advanced knowledge of Cisco switch platforms: Catalyst 2k, 3k and Nexus 5k, 7k and 9k
- Wireless technologies 802.11b/g/n, 802.11a, 802.11ac
- Experience with Aruba Wireless Networks, Airwave and ClearPass platforms required
- Experience with Cisco Prime Infrastructure and APIC-EM preferred
- Familiarity with network monitoring applications such as Solarwinds and Nagios
- Network control with secure DNS, DHCP, and IPMAM via Infoblox or equivalent
- Advance knowledge of IPv4, IPv6, 802.1x, VoIP, QoS, MPLS, SIP, VLAN
- Knowledge of cabling technologies such as UTP (Category 3, 5, 5e and 6), fiber optic (single mode, multi-mode) and coaxial
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of LAN and WAN; resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways.
- Acts as team lead for the design and engineering of network solutions and upgrades, administration and maintenance of LAN and WAN data communication systems ensuring effective and efficient operations.
- Provides direction and subject matter expertise in the analysis and resolution of complex networking problems.
- Provides root cause evaluation and analysis with an in-depth knowledge of factors involved and determines the appropriate course of action.
- Ensures implementation of the resolutions and corrections in a timely manner.
- Creates and maintains documentation on network design projects:
- Collects network and project requirements to create and develop network designs.
- Conducts feasibility network assessments.
- Creates diagrams and detailed design documents of device descriptions and narratives describing the functions of the design.
- Represents data communications team in collaborative discussions with other IT departments and external vendors in the evaluation, selection and implementation of enterprise software and/or hardware on the enterprise network.
- Collaborates with networking team, internal IT customers and corporate help desk on networking issues from inception through resolution assisting with the identification of issue and research and determine the appropriate actions for resolution.
- Leads data communications projects to ensure projects are in scope and communicates project status updates to appropriate managers.
- Actively participates in emerging technology investigation and evaluation that support business goals. Identifies, documents and assists in the implementation of these technologies within the networking infrastructure and date centers.
- Contributes to the creation and maintenance of Data Communications documentation, policies and procedures pertaining to hardware and software inventory management of data networking platforms, including routers and switches.
- Maintains current knowledge regarding industry practices regarding networking:
- Identifies and recommends areas for process improvement related to data center and assesses layer design best practices and approaches.
- Promotes best practices in day-to-day, break-fix networking issues to all team members.
- Mentors data communications engineers and participates in knowledge transfer sessions and process improvement discussions to disseminate current information regarding IT strategies and business needs to engineers.
- Facilitates effective communication among junior members of the team and continually seeks opportunities to increase internal satisfaction of other IT infrastructure teams.
- May escalate issues to supervisor/manager for resolution, as deemed necessary.
- Assist with various projects as assigned by a direct supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’ s Degree required; Advanced Degree desirable
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 5 – 8 years’ related experience; or a Master’ s degree with 3 years’ experience; or a PhD without experience; or equivalent directly related work experience.
- Advanced knowledge in the following technologies, but is not limited to: routers, switches, WAN, WLAN, MAN, LAN.
- VPN technologies including SSL, IPSEC, Anyconnect, DMVPN.
- Routing protocols, including OSPF, EIGRP and BGP.
- Skilled use of Packet Capture/Analysis tools.
- Knowledge of standard cabling technologies such as UTP (Category 3, 5, 5e and 6), fiber optic (single mode, multi-mode), and coaxial.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Good documentation and Visio skills.
- Broad background in Networking Technologies.
- Ability to prioritize workflow and issues.
- CCNA, CCNP required.