250 Massachusetts Avenue Bostono, MA 02139
Position: Systems Administrator II
Location: Cambridge, MA
Duration: 16 months
- Performs hands-on maintenance and support of servers and applications as member of the Infrastructure Operations Team
- Performs analysis and provides recommendations and solutions for improving the technical quality of systems in the area of expertise
- Integral part of a global infrastructure team which supports all technology layers of a complex research environment
- Responsible for the hands-on maintenance and support of research computing platform systems (incident and problem resolution, task fulfillment)
- Supports other IT teams in troubleshooting complex issues.
- Ensures proper adherence to global standards, policies and regulatory compliance (GxP).
- Manages individual tasks or incidents through the company’ s ticketing system.
- Coordinates with the members of Engineering team, Service Desk and Application Service Managers.
- Creates and maintains documentation.
- Performs other tasks and duties as documented and defined.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Ensure stable and well-performing system and application environments.
- Minimize downtime and/or impact of incidents in the area of responsibility.
- Apply professional expertise to improve a complex environment.
- Member of a global team of ~20 Operations professionals, distributed across the world
- Large and diverse infrastructure deployed on all sites globally
- “ Follow-the-sun” support model (Cambridge, MA office hours); very limited travel and off-hours activities expected (< 5%)
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Mandatory: 3+ years of experience in maintaining and troubleshooting complex middleware setups involving Apache HTTPD, Tomcat, IIS working in conjunction with database management systems such as Oracle and/or MSSQL;
- Mandatory: 3+ years of experience maintaining current Windows-based (2008, 2012, 2016) infrastructures in a high-performance, high-throughput enterprise environment
- Mandatory: 3+ years of experience in the use of diagnostic tools in the troubleshooting of issues (processes, disk space management, application/system logs, system resources) in complex, multi-tier architectures
- Mandatory: high ability to read and interpret system and application logs related to errors and events
- Mandatory: solid understanding of Microsoft-specific services and concepts
- Mandatory: good understanding of networking (OSI model, gateways, firewalls)
- Mandatory: good understanding of MS Active Directory notions
- Mandatory: understanding of hardware (HP and DELL, Blade Technology is a plus)
- Mandatory: ability to interact in a professional capacity with a variety of stakeholders, both technical and non-technical, with a wide area of expertise
- Mandatory: fluent English
- Desirable: support experience similar to the above for Linux O/S (particularly RHEL 5+, CentOS 6+) and Linux-based environments is a major advantage
- Desirable: experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) concepts and implementations is a major advantage, practical knowledge of other public cloud systems is welcome
- Desirable: experience operating and managing virtualization platforms (ESXi 5+) is a significant advantage
- Advantageous: ability to read and write Powershell scripts
- Advantageous: experience with containerization technologies (Docker, Singularity)
- Advantageous: experience with automation solutions such as vRealize or Chef
- Advantageous: understanding of storage (SAN, NAS, NFS) and backup concepts as they pertain to Windows- and ESX-based solutions
- Advantageous: experience with hyperconverged solutions (ScaleIO) concepts and implementations
- Advantageous: exposure to monitoring and alerting technologies (Solarwinds, SCOM)
- Advantageous: experience with software development practices and tooling
- Advantageous: understanding of regulated environments (GxP, SOX, SAS70, HIPAA, etc.)