Technical Solutions Engineer
32 Hartwell Ave Greater Boston Area, MA 02421
Position: Technical Solutions Engineer
Location: Greater Boston Area, MA
Type: Full Time Position
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
As a hands-on Technical Solutions Engineer, candidate will be responsible for independently researching and selecting new technologies, selecting best alternatives, creating prototypes, running pilots, and presenting findings and recommendations to both technical and business audiences. The role requires an understanding of a variety of technologies (application, languages, infrastructure) with the ability and motivation to learn “ just in time” to support assignments. Collaborates across business and IT organizations to articulate technical alternatives and builds consensus.
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES:
- Technical research, build pilots, make and communicate recommendations, technical execution and coordination duties as listed under “ Principal Responsibilities and Duties”.
- Responsible for driving the culture through values and customer service standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Technical Research and Prototypes:
- Work with business/IT to understand needs, document technical requirements, define/document/share technical alternatives, create high-level proposals to make use of best alternatives.
- Perform industry research to determine what products and components can be leveraged to fill needs, determine if there are best practices to follow, help business and technical audience understand state of offerings, determine the state of a new technology the company is interested in.
- Perform and lead technical solution searches, proof of concepts, and selection of best solution.
- Continually look for new technologies that can help the company fill future needs, provide more scalability and interoperability, improve speed to delivery, and avoid application/data silos. Help cultivate awareness and opportunities for new technologies.
- Present findings to technical peers at an Architecture Review Board (ARB).
- Assist the company in assessing the maturity of a new technology and make recommendations in how to use it.
- Contribute to the creation of technology blueprints, frameworks, solutions that can be leveraged by others.
- For larger efforts, lead cross-functional IT and business teams to determine needs and alternatives, run pilots, and communicate technology decisions.
- When researching technologies, take into consideration scalability, performance, infrastructure, and match to company’ s technology stack when making recommendations.
- Produce accurate, unambiguous technical documents and presentations to the appropriate detail.
- Build prototypes and proof of concepts to promote new technologies.
- Propose solutions to meet business need and aid in estimating for new technologies being adopted.
Coordination, Communication, Coach
- Define and communicate (in ways each audience understands) technical solution, pros, and cons.
- Coach and knowledge transfer to those that adopt the new technologies recommended.
- Help implementation teams get started by assisting in the definition of Agile epics and stories.
- Perform other duties as specified by supervisor.
- 8-10 years of experience as a hands-on software technical lead or senior software engineer.
- Bachelor’ s degree required in computer science or related engineering field. Master’ s degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Experience with full stack design and projects.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to present and discuss technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and provides understanding to a diverse audience (developers to executives)
- Able to work on multiple projects, with multiple audiences and deadlines.
- Understanding of scalable, cloud architectures such as AWS, Azure, Puppet, Docker, Google Cloud, and experience in applying them to real world problems.
- Experience with current programming languages and the ability to pick up others just in time. For example, Java, Python, C#, C++, scripting, object-oriented.
- Experience using APIs, integration technologies to tie together multiple systems/data sources.
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases like Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, MongoDB.
- Experience working within a complex software/system environment.
- Mobile development experience a plus - iOS, Android.
- Knowledge of healthcare interoperability standards (HL7, CCDA, FHIR) a plus.
- Working knowledge of Agile, DevOps, and microservices based applications a plus.