Windows Systems Engineer
SchrafftÃ¢ÂÂs City Center 529 Main Street, 4th Floor Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129
Position Title: Windows Systems Engineer
Job Location: Boston, MA
Interview Expectations: Phone and then in person interview
Local Candidate: Yes, local only
Required Skill Sets: Must have Windows, VMware, Citrix and SANS experience
Is responsible for managing the planning, coordination, configuration, installation, and management of all network servers and related client services within the enterprise to meet business requirements. Designs and implements enterprise servers, including infrastructure and mission-critical applications. Has key responsibility for the identification and resolution of hardware and software technical problems and malfunctions related to network enterprise infrastructure and related all related servers. Makes decisions that are critical in the areas of throughput analysis, problem solving, and server infrastructure planning, with the potential to affect the successful execution of business transactions. Proactively researches and locates necessary tools and processes to identify troublesome trends as they develop. Ensures a stable performance environment for the enterprise systems. Participates in various IT projects intended to continually improve/upgrade the enterprise servers.
1) Design servers and networks; install servers, applications, and tools; identify solutions through constant interfacing with appropriate management levels, clients, departments, and vendor organizations to ensure a cost-effective and efficient infrastructure environment is available to provide the processing power essential to department and enterprise operations
2) Install servers, disks, processors, and other systems hardware; troubleshoot, maintain, upgrade, and provide solutions to complex hardware/software problems; alert management, help desk team, and other IT groups when sensitive issues arise or a major problem is suspected; minimize client productivity loss caused by technology outages, and provide necessary infrastructure for clients to meet their business needs
3) Monitor and control server performance in the areas of response, throughput, and availability
4) Proactively research and locate the necessary tools and processes to identify troublesome trends as they develop; analyze trends and develop a long-range plan designed to resolve problems and prevent them from recurring; maintain high service levels for the user community, and establish a method to easily compare the installation performance against established performance objectives
5) Ensure a stable performance environment for mission-critical enterprise systems
6) Monitor and analyze system problems that occur in corporate network, identifying and solving problems as rapidly as possible; provide critical and essential services to locations enterprise wide (including remote sites)
7) Develop test plans (including cases for functionality, integrity, and stress testing; test matrixes; and definition of test methodologies and test strategy); be responsible for the creation of test platforms, including evaluation of test equipment and designing test servers; develop automated test suites for product regression and stress testing
8) Participate in various IT projects intended to continually improve/upgrade the enterprise server infrastructure; for example, evaluate new software and hardware required to meet a business need or to make a process more cost effective
9) Handle times of peak service demands or as needed to solve complex problems aimed at delivering consistent quality service to clients within predefined service levels; review assigned service requests daily, following up and providing status updates to clients; ensure data pertaining to the status of service requests is entered into help desk problem tracking systems accurately and promptly on a daily basis to provide an up-to-date picture of service delivery status and backlog
10) Identify opportunities and recommend solutions for improving service efficiency and effective-ness; participate in IT initiatives to address service issues; keep abreast of technical aspects of the PC-LAN/WAN computing environment; have a working knowledge of department-specific applications; attend seminars and other educational opportunities; seek out insight and on-the-job training from peers and other internal and external resources
11) Configure, install, and maintain necessary hardware and software for enterprise server hardware and software to provide a suitable environment to run mission-critical production applications and perform development; perform maintenance and release upgrades on a timely basis or as needed
12) Assist in developing strategic and tactical planning of server environments for internal customers, including discovery and documentation of user requirements before development design and programming
13) Design and implement server architectures, including enterprise infrastructure design, and implementation of mission-critical 24x7
14) Develop/follow procedures for server administration (e.g., security, reliability)
15) Assist in setting priorities and managing resources to achieve unit, division, and corporate goals
16) Recommend standards and guidelines
17) Recommend/select specific products as necessary, participating in tool and vendor evaluations
18) Support groups developing distributed applications and distributed databases
19) Participate in and contribute to task forces and special projects initiated within departments/divisions
20) Continuously strive to improve client support, identifying opportunities and recommending solutions for improving service efficiency and effectiveness; have a working knowledge of department specific applications
Participate in a week-long 24/7 on-call rotation.
Minimum Bachelor’ s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline (or equivalent combination of formal education and related work experience); Master’ s degree is desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Professional certifications highly desirable
Minimum five years experience in Microsoft Server configuration, design and analytical work, and related experience in mission-critical enterprise server environments performing network engineering (hardware and software), and designing, planning, and implementing servers and infrastructure using the latest technology.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Must have strong experience in day to day support of Windows, Exchange, Active Directory, and VMWare. Additionally, exposure to Storage (EMC), Legato, backups is a plus.
Thorough understanding of distributed systems architecture and comprehensive knowledge of multiple technical disciplines.
Excellent technical knowledge and aptitude in the areas of networks, network topologies, PC workstations (configuration and connectivity), and network file servers, applicable software, and troubleshooting techniques.
Strong customer service and communications skills.
Good judgment and analytical skills; strong follow-up and organizational skills.
Ability to conduct and prepare feasibility studies; develop client proposals, including estimates for costs, time, and resources; prepare statistical reports; complete cost/benefit analyses; and conduct business.
Understanding of the enterprise business and business processes; ability to anticipate future network requirements, and research and analyze emerging technologies.
Strong interpersonal skills with all levels of employees and the ability to present and explain technical information to diverse audiences.
Hardware: Dell PowerEdge Servers
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003/2008, Standard/Enterprise versions, 32bit/64bit/R2.
Technologies: VMware vSphere 5, Citrix 5.0, 6.0+, Microsoft SQL Server, SCCM, SCOM, EMC Networker.
Network: TCP/IP, Routing, General Knowledge to assist in identifying and troubleshooting issues.